Companies are facing major difficulties as a result of the challenges posed by COVID-19, and many professionals cite automation as a key solution to business survival. However, when considering using automation to transform your service management, you need to consider how you leverage Cherwell Service Requests in partnership with automation to achieve the “holy grail” of service request automation.
This blog covers the crucial elements to consider when selecting the best automation approach to use with Cherwell.
Assess the Current Situation
You have invested in defining your processes within your Cherwell Service Requests; however, the work is still being completed manually.
Analyzing the information available from your Cherwell system is crucial. Here are some considerations to keep in mind:
- What requests are raised? And how often?
- How long does the task actually take to fulfil?
- What is the end-to-end elapsed time for these requests?
- What are the desired service experience levels?
Considering and answering these questions is the first step toward service request automation. The opportunity is there to have automation and Cherwell work “hand in glove” to remove the manual fulfilment of requests.
Leveraging the Deployed Infrastructure
Automation isn’t about ripping out or replacing your existing infrastructure. An automation tool that wraps around and works with your Cherwell Service Desk and existing enterprise systems is much smarter and cost-effective than implementing new systems across your department.
When selecting an automation solution, ensure it has a proven track record of integrating with the IT setup already in place at your business.
Elements not to overlook when choosing your automation approach:
- Graphical authoring — an image-based approach with no code makes the creation of automation runbooks easier and doesn’t require advanced coding knowledge.
- The breadth of ready-built supported integrations — this keeps costs down and implementation quick. Also, the likelihood of discovering bugs or snags in the integration you purchase is reduced, as it will already be used in production elsewhere. Custom-built integrations will naturally be more expensive, will take time to produce and be without a verified history.
- Make sure consideration is given to the strategic bigger picture — a lot of focus is given to looking at a small number of use cases and automating that one process when the tools are available to automate beyond just one use-case.
What Is the Holy Grail of Cherwell Service Requests?
Using the Cherwell self-service portal provides a simple interface, which contains a range of offerings which the end-user can complete and submit. Cherwell then automatically triggers the necessary approval process steps and creates a list of IT actions which the automation completes. These requests are fulfilled in minutes, instead of days or weeks.
Ultimately, the holy grail of automation is empowerment: If individuals can do something for themselves in Cherwell, this will save hundreds of person-hours and the user experience will be elevated through a swift and error-free resolution.
As you start on your Automation journey, be sure to reach out to Kelverion and we will demonstrate how Cherwell Service Request automation and our Solution Packs achieve the “holy grail” of service request automation.
If you are considering using Azure Automation to automate service requests, be sure to reach out to Kelverion. We have over a decade of experience in automation both on-premise and with Azure Automation. The Kelverion Runbook Suite, which has been specially created to enable organisations to harness the power of Azure Automation is formed of 4 parts:
The Runbook Studio: A ‘click and configure’ graphical authoring environment in which to create and modify the automation processes, that will save your business hundreds of ‘man-hours’. Similar to a Visio diagram, this image-based approach means users don’t need to write lines of code.
Integrations: We’re proud that our products wrap around your existing ITSM and connect automation through our ‘smart discovery’ technology. Take a look at our Integration library.
Solution packs: pre-built automation solutions, ready to be deployed and tweaked to the exact requirements of your organisation.
Automation Portal: For those customers who don’t have a self-service portal within their service desk, we have built an automation portal; empowering end-users to complete their own service requests and fulfilling these requests with automation.
For more information, to arrange a discovery call or to see a demonstration please contact our helpful team today via firstname.lastname@example.org.